Sunday, April 23: Orioles try to sweep Tigers out of Baltimore

SteveA

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oriolediehard said:

Why is it when we get good pitching, we cant hit, and when we hit we don't have good pitching???

Yeah, if we could just put them together we'd be so much better than just a .650 baseball team.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get your point. I just disagree. Yes he's a closer and that's his role. So yes in the 9th but not the 8th in the regular season.

Even if he preserves the lead and we take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 8th, we would then need someone else to close the game and Cano is supposedly unavailable today. So there's that to consider.

If we are in a pennant race in September/October and there's "no tomorrow" I'm all with your approach. Just not in April against DET.

You have to remember you have to get a guy up and ready and that takes a couple batters.  You don’t want your closer getting up in the top of the 8th inning.  There was 4 pitches in the top of the 8th inning before Voth came in so unless Bautista was warming up in the bottom of 7th (which he shouldn’t be) there is no way he could have gotten ready in time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm honestly starting to get worried about guys like Adley and our prospects. If these guys don't pan out we aren't going to be a successful franchise for a while.  There's no reason why the offense should be this bad right now. 
    • Say what you will about Mouncastle's consistency at the plate. Compared to anyone else on the team he's by far our best fielding 1st baseman. Not even close. Every short hop with O'Hearn is an adventure.
    • I'm not necessarily going to buy that Holliday and Mayo should be expected to struggle this much. Jackson Merrill hasn't.   Jackson Chourio hasn't.   It's not automatic that guys have to go through a period where they are hitting around .100 and striking out more than half the time.   Lots of good players come up, have some ups and downs, but are not THAT bad.
    • Sure does...but I believe he was acquired for 2025 so I won't make any judgment till June or so.
    • We don't need his bat, we are doing just fine.
    • For me, winning the division is the greatest accomplishment left in the game. When I was growing up, four teams would qualify for the playoffs: in each league, the best team in the east and the best in the west would face off in a championship series, and the winner would go to the World Series.  Winning the division back then was the due reward for playing great ball all season long. That's how it still should be. That's the whole problem with the current playoff system, in a nutshell. Winning a division after playing 162 games should mean a lot.  As for this year's Orioles, I ceased to be disappointed in them sometime in late July or so. Instead, I regard them as a promising work-in-progress whose best days lie in the years ahead. They are kind of like the Houston Astros just when they started to get good but still weren't a world-class team.
    • I can't help but wonder if our hitting coaches basically just do one thing:   preach the launch angle approach that Elias has determined that leads to optimal overall results.   Don't worry about strikeouts.   Emphasis on doing the most damage when you swing (vs just trying to put the ball in play, hit 'em where they ain't, etc). And that approach, taken as a whole, DOES lead to better overall results, and I believe it IS the correct holistic approach for an organization to take in drafting, developing, and coaching players? But if it is the only thing our hitting coaches know how to teach, could that also be a problem?    When a batter is in a slump, maybe he should be less concerned with focusing on the amount of damage he does per swing, but jsut with putting the ball in play to make something happen.    Could there be a psychological effect?   Players and ex-players will talk abouit a bloop hit helping them get out of a slump.   Football players will talk about going immediately back to a receiver who drops a ball to boost his confidence and "keep him in the game". And most "old school" baseball coaches believed in these things, and used them to help guys get out of slumps.   Maybe there is still some wisdom in that approach, not as a primary approach, but to help a guy get his confidence back, start seeing the ball better, etc.   And maybe the guys we hired aren't able to, even temporarily, change what they are telling guys to help them when they are struggling. Just speculating.   Grasping for answers at the astonishing lack of hitting we are seeing on so many nights.   
  • Popular Contributors